Ever since I arrived at the retreat, and stumbled into the bamboo themed interiors with the staff handing me a cup of freshly brewed herbal tea, I knew it was going to be a revitalizing experience. It surely lives up to its name with table, chairs, cupboards, mirror frames, and even dustbins made out of bamboo. Located in Rumtek, an hour drive away from Gangtok town, Bamboo Retreat is a bamboo themed boutique hotel with a Buddhist flavor which offers a fantastic staycation. From Gangtok town, you pass through meandering roads while gaining altitude to arrive at Rumtek and once you reach here, it has a surprisingly calming effect on the senses.
Most of the food prepared here, and flowers you see in the vases, are from the surrounding garden. I already felt like a healthier person just after a day, and that astonished me. Surrounded by lush greenery, infusion of copious amounts of herbal tea and fresh unadulterated organic food had a large part to play in it. At night, gazing at the scintillating lights from Gangtok town, and overwhelmed with a blanketing silence, all the while shivering, I was lost for words. Totally refreshing in the lap of nature.
The staff is also very friendly truly exemplifying the gregarious crowd of Gangtok and provide excellent service to make sure you have a wonderful stay at their property. Mr. Suraj – the manager of the property made sure everything is well taken care of and I for one totally loved the hospitality there. If you are looking for a rejuvenating and wellness retreat at Gangtok – look no further.
About Bamboo Retreat
It houses fourteen rooms with panoramic nature views. Ideal for a family get-together or with a large group of friends for a staycation. At evenings, kick back with a book from the library while sipping herbal tea and call it a day! Everything around here is organic – from food to even the aromatic hand wash. As a result, it truly illustrates an eco-friendly way of living yet with comfort and luxury.
Wellness therapies offered here
- Meditation workshops – They conduct meditation workshops at the meditation room for about 2 hours.
- Massage therapy – Varying from 30 mins to 90 min duration, it offers Ayurvedic, Swedish, Thai or foot massages. Also, they even have an in-house massage therapist at certain times.
- Ethnic Cooking sessions – Learn new recipes of mouth-watering Tibetian cuisine from the local chef.
- Rejuvenating herbal bath – A relaxing bath with the infusion of herbs straight from their own garden (citronella, mints, etc) while sipping on freshly brewed herbal tea in a candlelight setting. Could it get any better?
- Outdoor traditional hot stone bath – While hot stone bath has its origins in Indian Ayurvedic practices and the traditional medicine of 7th-century Tibet, it is widely practiced in Bhutan. Evidently, fresh river water is mixed with local Artemisia leaves and heated with fire-roasted river stones. Choose to unwind yourself in this unique experience.
- Lepcha Cultural Experience with nature walk and welcome ceremony
- Yoga and Ayurveda consultation
Note: Prices vary depending on the time and number of participants. For more details, check out the Bamboo Retreat tariff page. If you are looking for any of the above experiences, inform the staff 2-3 days prior so that they can make the necessary arrangements.
Local sightseeing places
The Rumtek monastery, located at about 5kms from the retreat, is one of the well-known Buddhist monasteries in Gangtok. Either a hired taxi or a shared cab will take you there. If you are up for a walk, ask the manager for shortcuts, and he will surely tell you the way.
Do yourself a favor and book your stay at one of the unique boutique hotels in Gangtok. Check out Bamboo Retreat for more details. Alternatively, for international travelers book through Terralaya Travels for complete tour packages.