Two months into the blogosphere – and I have been nominated, not once but twice for the Liebster award. 2017 has surely started on a good note.
So, what is the Liebster Award?
It is an online award in the blogging community awarded by bloggers to fellow bloggers as a recognition of their work. Blogging is anything but easy. Starting from setting up a site, scouring through themes, learning about design, writing great content to social media marketing – it can get pretty overwhelming at times. So, it always feels good to receive recognition for the hard work you have been doing.
Here are the rules
- Write a blog post about your nomination, displaying an image of the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and includes a link to their blog.
- Upon accepting the nomination, answer the questions of the person who nominated you.
- Nominate other bloggers and ask them your own set of questions and intimate them about it.
Stefano, find my answers to your questions below
1. What’s the last place you have been dreaming of traveling to?
I find Moscow extremely fairytale like. Small dome architecture in a colorful and festive wintry setting. What’s not to like? Wouldn’t be lying if I said I have literally dreamt about it.
2. You are given ONE TRIP in life. Where are you going?
That has to be Iceland. I find Iceland to be otherworldly and the more I hear about it the more obsessed I get. The active volcanos, the brilliant ice caves, and diving between intercontinental plates and not to mention the Northern lights 🙂
3. Tell your most embarrassing travel moment ever. Don’t be shy.
Jakarta has a very happening Karaoke culture. And FYI, I’m a really bad singer with a throaty and weak voice. Regardless, I went ahead with the song “Hotel California”. I was in the groove and I just finished the song even when people were laughing around. It helped that there were only a few people in there. But it was embarrassing nevertheless. Thankfully, there is no proof of it. Yayy!
4. Which books and movies you have read and watched in 2016? Which are you looking forward to in 2017?
Into the Wild, Wild and Everest movie in 2016. Loved each one of them. I thoroughly enjoyed reading 20,000 leagues under the sea – a science fiction on the extraordinary voyage under water. I’m currently reading The Great Railway Bazaar – an entertaining travelogue of the author’s rail journey through Asia. Passing through the legendary train routes – The Direct-Orient Express, the Khyber Pass local, Golden Arrow to Kuala Lumpur and Trans-Siberian express, it’s an interesting book on purposeless travel for fun and adventure.
5. What’s the funniest item you always bring with you when traveling?
I always carry a book while traveling. It’s funny because I never get time to read it, and yet I carry it every single time. Wishful thinking or naivety?! You decide!
6. What was the lowest moment in your (presumably short) blogging career?
For now, I don’t have expectations for blogging. I blog for the sole purpose of jotting down my stories and hopefully ignite the wanderlust in others. I would say it was pretty intimidating when I started blogging. Finding a name for the blog itself was so taxing. Then comes setting up the site. Doing social media and content marketing. So, it was initially too much to take in.
7. Do you believe believing in blogging alone as a primary source of income?
I have seen many people having success with blogging as a full-time profession. However, I believe multiple sources of income is the way to go.
8. Tell a secret strategy (legit or not, we all know..!) you have been using to increase your social media followers.
I use Crowdfire – an online social media marketing tool to engage with my Twitter audience. Sssh! Let it be a secret between us!
9. Mac or Windows? Lightroom or GIMP? Twitter or Instagram?
Mac. Lightroom. And Instagram. Instagram is my favorite social media channel.
10. Do you collect / Have you collected something in life or during your travel?
I love to collect something or the other during my travels. Be it travel brochures, a map of the place, currency, souvenirs, outfits or loads and loads of photographs.
Ricci, find my answers to your questions below
1. What inspired you to start a blog?
Blogging has been on my mind for quite a few years now and I was contributing to a major travel community site. But I got a breakthrough of setting up my own blog when I won a contest for a trip to Thailand and met fellow bloggers.
2. What is your favorite destination in the world?
It has to be Krabi in south-west Thailand. The place is full of adventures and has a laidback atmosphere. It’s an extremely beautiful place with so many things to do.
3. How would you describe yourself as a traveler? Are you into backpacking, more comfortable/luxury travel, etc.?
Actually, I wouldn’t mind a dose of luxury once in a while and prefer it when I want time for myself. But more often than not, I meet a lot of interesting people while I’m backpacking. I feel it’s more immersive and satisfying that way. So, I would have to say I’m more into backpacking.
4. How do you find travel blogging so far?
I would be lying if I say it’s a breeze. I love the creative elements though. Designing, writing, and photography. And, it’s always satisfying when you see the end-product. But it takes a lot of effort to get there. It can surely get overwhelming at times.
5. Best food that you have tried on your travels?
It has to be strawberry cheesecake when I traveled to Jakarta. Finding that place itself was a matter of pure serendipity. We were supposed to go to a spa. But since it was all booked for the day and we had some spare time before heading towards the beach, we ventured out into the neighborhood and found this gem of a place. The cheesecake just melted in my mouth. It was so soft and oh so yummy!
6. Do you have a full-time job?
Yes, I do have a full-time job. I’m a software engineer by profession. If I am not coding, I’m traveling!
7. What place(s) is on top of your bucket list?
Iceland, Alaska, and Patagonia.
8. Beach or Mountain?
Can I say both? I love exploring the wilderness in the mountains. At the same time, I love being in the water even when I’m not a good swimmer. I find it extremely rejuvenating.
Favorite mountain Escapade – Kuari Pass – A gateway to heaven
Favorite beach Escapade – Maldives
9. What important piece of advice can you give a newbie blogger?
It’s easy to lose sight of why you are blogging in the first place owing to the umpteen number of things to be done in the meantime. But always strive for great content and do what you do best. Everything else will follow.
10. What are your plans for this 2017?
Actually, I don’t have any set travel plans as of now. But surely, I’ll make some soon or go on an impulsive road trip. That’s always fun!
I would like to nominate the following people for the Liebster Award. Congratulations and cheers to you!
Docle And Masala – Daleya is a travel enthusiast, shopaholic, dessert aficionado, and DIY’er. Hey there, Daleya.
Wayfaring Wanders – An American who lives in Spain teaching English. Say hello to Genevieve.
Beck? What the heck?! – Jessica Beck is a 23-year-old hairstylist who travels solo.
Perpetual Tripping – A blog by Mansi Kamdar who is a travel enthusiast working in the hospitality segment and dreams of dining at the world’s 50 best restaurants.
How not to travel like a basic bitch – Made by insatiable travelers with a primary purpose to support those lusting for knowledge from every corner of the world. The current lead editor is a Ph.D. student on her way to conquer all of Latin America while the dollar is still strong!
Here are my questions to answer for the Liebster award nominees
- What are your goals for travel blogging?
- Name any location/country that disappointed you? Something which you were looking forward to but turned out be disappointing.
- How do you manage your social media channels? Any strategy that you use to gain more followers?
- What’s your best travel experience?
- What’s the most adventurous thing you did while traveling?
- Someone interesting you met during your travels?
- Any plans on creating a sustainable travel lifestyle? If yes. How?
- Any offbeat location that completely blew your mind away?
- Any life changing incidents while traveling?
- What camera gear you use while traveling?
Happy blogging, girls!
If you found this post useful and helped you on your travels, then don't forget to share your experience along with a photo with me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, subscribe to receive free inspiration right to your mailbox. And, follow me virtually on my adventures on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. See you on the other side! And until then, Happy Travels!